Sunday 3 February 2013

Invisible Bond

I was speaking to Baron yesterday as during the 6 Nations, texting and bantering back and forth on Facebook and out of nowhere I had this overwhelming feeling that once he and Herb are married, somehow a little piece  of our relationship is going to be lost forever.  I know it is silly, Herb and I have been friends since we were 10.  Our friendship has survived, boyfriends, different Universities, different cities, different countries hell, even different continents and yet somehow... I can't seem to shake the feeling.

We were catching up last week talking weddings, work, life and I asked her if she had managed to organise a band yet.  Balloo and I were going to take this on and pick up the price tag if she hadn't although she is way ahead of the curve and already has a Ceilidh and covers band for the first half of the evening with a plan to fire on a pre made dance list during the evening to keep the party going.  We joked that she would need to intercept the list and make a few modifications as Baron isn't exactly known for his ability to rock a party and agreed that when I visit for the first wedding dress shopping day we will sit down and make sure there are some decent party pleaser's   Herb told me however that Baron had already considered what Herb and I would usually go crazy for on a night out and had added some Jackson 5 to the list.

When we were in our teens Herb and I would head out with the rest of the people in our year at school to the local bars and nightclub and while we would drink and talk and flirt like the rest of them we seemed to have an invisible bond when it came to the dance floor.  A track would come on and no matter where we were or who we were talking to we would head to the dance floor and sure enough the other was there waiting.  Dancing together was a big part of who we were, and being the life and the soul of the dance floor was without a doubt the reason we were invited out and asked to party with any and every group of people each weekend despite of age range or 'clique'.  Yep, without a doubt, those were our glory days - we were invited to any and every party going, and so long as the drinks were flowing and the tunes were decent, we would have the dance floor jumping.  People were drawn in by our energy and all the way through to our mid twenties, it didn't matter where we were or who we know, we would dance around and between the groups of people somehow silently bind everyone together.  The only time we stopped would be to grab a drink or hit the bathroom to check our makeup.

I miss those days - When you lived for the weekend and all the troubles of being a fully fledged adult had yet to settle in a take a little piece of your soul.

A couple of years ago I was searching the net for something to watch, I had been under the weather and fancied a series that would be able to keep me entertained for a couple of days while I shook it off.  I stumbled upon the L word.  While Herb and I are not lesbians their relationship to each other and energy of their connection struck a cord so when the series was coming to an end and the girls in the show met for one last house party I couldn't help but put a massive smile on my face when I realised the track show chose to highlight the bonds they had forged was the same track Herb and I request on every single night out.

Song Challenge Day 3:  A song that makes you happy!

-----------------------
The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tricks and Tips